Johnnie Walker

In 1820 John Walker founded a food store in Kilmarnock. His son Alexander Walker became a partner in 1856 and since then they started selling whisky under the name 'Walker's Kilmarnock Whisky'. A little while later John died and after the death of Alexander his son Alec Walker took John Stevenson as partner in 1889. He invented the slogan „Johnnie Walker born 1820 – still going strong“. Cardhu distillery was bought in 1893 and in 1896 Annandale distillery was bought too. The brand name Johnnie Walker was registered in 1908 and the walking dandy was invented later on by the artist Tom Browne. In 1925 the company amalgamated with the DCL after the Red Label and the Black Label has been beaten the White Label. The Red label is the world wide best sold scotch whisky today. The Johnnie Walker Swing was invented in the 1920ies for the big ocean vessels. The Blue Label contains up to 60 years old Malts.